According to the New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services, every child residing in the state of New Hampshire has a right to receive financial support from both parents. Therefore, even after divorce, one parent may be required to pay child support to the other parent.

Child support obligations remain active until all dependent children under the court order become 18 years of age or terminate their high school education. There are certain exceptions to this rule which includes parents with custody over a disabled child. In some cases, a modification may be required if there is a drastic change in either party’s circumstances.

How is child support calculated?

The family law court uses a specific formula to calculate child support to be paid from one parent to the other. Child support may cause a substantial amount of frustration among divorcing parties but a lawyer from our firm can help you ease the stress by completing necessary paperwork and preparing you for the process so that you conclude mediation or court proceedings with the best result possible.

Child support is determined using a set formula that assesses how much the custodial parent will need to support the child. The amount to be paid from net income for child support varies based on the number of children and the level of income of each party. Child support can either be paid out of the supporting party’s paycheck directly from the employer, from the payor to the recipient, or through the Department of Child Support.

Get a Free Case Evaluation!

The child’s best interests are always of paramount consideration and child support orders are for this purpose. As a result, in unique circumstances, specific child support orders may vary from the specific guidelines. Some of such unique circumstances include special medical expenses, disparities in income between parents, special schooling needs, and other circumstances that can affect the custodial parent’s need for additional child support. At Buckley Law Offices, we know the New Hampshire and Massachusetts laws regarding child support and can help you identify your needs and what you should expect. Contact Buckley Law Offices today!

call now to speak with an Attorney - (603) 595-8801